Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Basketball Coaching For Dummies


So this is me.  I am a dummy when it comes to coaching basketball.  I think I am going to try it out this year.   I do not have any real experience even playing basketball.  I never played in school nor did I play in an out-of-school organized league.  I did live in an area known as "the hill" (the word at the beginning of that name was dropped and replaced by "the" as it would start fights unless you were black).  Living near The Hill, street ball was very common.  I did venture into street ball with my neighbors.  I mostly knew them and had report with them due to the fact that I ran track and could out run the majority of them.  I never was very good at street ball, but I never turned down an invitation to play.  Actually, for my 16th birthday I requested for and received a basketball goal that my dad mounted to the garage.  It was a magnet for the neighbors.  Most days that the weather allowed, you could find me out back with no less than 3-5 of the black neighbors playing basketball.  Once I actually obtained transportation (well into my 17th year of life) the crowds diminished.

So back on to me coaching basketball.  My knowledge of basketball mostly comes from watching basketball.  I enjoy going to Maverick's games and kinda enjoy going to my children's games.  To be honest, the environment kinda ruins it for me.  The kids games are in gyms that are crazy loud with ridiculous echoes.  To make matters worse, I have to help corral the other four children, all of which really want to run out on the court during play.  This year, my second son wants to play basketball.  I am going to attempt to coach his team.  I might say that this is the blind leading the blind, but I will try to stay one chapter ahead of the crowd.

I found an electronic copy of Coaching Basketball for Dummies.  I plan on reading it as well as a few other informational guides so I can NOT look completely stupid.  I took a shot at coaching for the first time last year with a t-ball team.  The difference?  I know baseball.  I played lots of baseball.  On the other hand, I love coaching kids.  I enjoy spending time out there.  It is fun for me, win or lose.

So here I go.  Head first into coaching a basketball.  I have not been approved by the league yet.  I don't know if I will have my own team or if I will assist someone else.  I do know that I kinda need to be out there because Jaedon doesn't respond like you would expect a normal child to.

I am kinda scared of the unknown but excited to be faced with the challenge.

Learn to coach a sport I myself rarely played.  Got it.
 

No comments: