Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Heirlooms

I was recently given something that I plan on turning into an heirloom at the request of my father.  The heirloom is an 1817 print of a bible from London.


While stationed in Connecticut, at the Historic Ship Nautilus and Submarine Museum, Groton, CT, my parents visited a local Book Barn with my family.  We would take our kids on a fairly regular basis because the atmosphere is so awesome.  The "store" looks like a little village in the woods with a house and a shed and a tent, etc.  Every building was filled to the brim with used books.  We would go out there and spend a few dollars so the kids could take home new stories to enjoy.  On this particular visit around 2007, while there with my parents, we came across a bible dated 1817.  The price was only $40.00 which my dad saw as a steal and made the purchase. 


Fast forward to Christmas 2015.  My father has had his parents living with him for about 5 years.  Well, my grandfather still lives with him.  My grandmother passed away March 2013.  My grandfather has been slowly passing out the more valuable of his belongings to his children so that he can have the satisfaction of watching them enjoy the items while he is still alive.  None of us thing he is passing anytime soon but he wants to make sure he has the opportunity to give things to the people he intends for them to go to.


My dad has been the recipient of most of the things my grandfather gives away because 1) he is the oldest son and 2) my grandfather lives in his house.  When he finds something to give away dad is usually the first person he sees. 


So this Christmas, my dad and I were in his library when he pulls down the 1817 bible and hands it to me.  He says something to the effect of....


Tim, this bible did not originate in our family but I think it should stay in our family.  This bible has a rich history that most likely included the Civil war and there are no telling how many different people have owned it.  We now own it and I'd like it to become a part of our family's legacy.  I am passing it on to you for you to share with and pass down to your children.


WOW!!!!!  What an honor!  We don't really have any heirlooms that I know of.  I have a couple of pocket watches that my grandfather gave me last year, but he purchased them.  I have a rifle from WWI from my wife's grandmother, but her grandfather purchased it.  I have a rifle from WWII but my father purchased it.  I'm not sure that I have anything that would qualify as an heirloom that was an heirloom before falling into my possession.


So this post is about heirlooms but I must admit that since I just recently acquired the bible, most of this is going to be about the bible with updates (hopefully) as I obtain more information.


Pictures and more to come later.

No comments: