Sunday, October 30, 2016

Jubilee

On September 25, 2015, I lost my job with a company I'd worked for for just over 7 years. Actually, it was 7 years, one month and 1 week. I was hired on August 18, 2008.

Before being let go, I signed up for a men's retreat that I was hesitant to attend because I was ashamed at being unemployed. While I labeled my release date as "dooms day" where I was not really provided a reason for my release, I felt like I'd let my family down. I didn't want to be around my peers because I felt my shame would be on display.

As many men know, we subconsciously size each other up based on our accomplishments. This is apparent when you listen to men greeting and meeting men.

"HI, I'm glad to meet you. What do you do? "

" Oh, cool. Married? Kids? Where did you go to college? What's your degree in?"

This happened and I layer myself out there hoping someone there would have mercy on me and know where I could get a great job. I'd only been unemployed a couple of weeks (ultimately, I was unemployed 6 months, three days before getting hired).

One of the first people I spoke to was a man named Johnny Combs. His response baffled me.

"I'm not disappointed or sad that you don't have a job. I'm excited for you. I'm a little envious. You're in the best position for God to do what he wants to do. You're not focused on a job. You're focused on him. Additionally, we are in the year of Jubilee. In the year of Jubilee, God restores back to his chosen what was taken or given away. God is going to give you more than you could have hoped or asked for."

During my months on unemployment, I continued to feel depressed and downtrodden as no job came to me and guaranteed jobs I applied for disappeared without cause. Then along came an opportunity that from the day I saw their name, I knew I would get hired. No, knowing the job was mine did not remove any of my preparation or anxiety. As a matter of fact, the two days after my face to face interview in South Carolina, I had insomnia and indigestion with a healthy side of heartburn.

I've been in my position for almost 7 months and I'm reminded of the words spoken over me by Johnny. I'm also reminded of a prayer prayed over me right before I flew out to the interview. She prayed for an over abundance of favor.

I look at my job experience and I see a company that wanted to hire me after the first conversation but put me through the procedure because of policy. I see a company that corporately prays. I was amazed the first time I was exposed to it. I'm with a company that loves me and wants me to succeed and exceed not only my own expectations but also theirs.

So now, the Jubilee statement...

According to the internet, Jubilee is not officially recognized because of disagreement over whether the Jubilee year is year one of the next set of 7's or if there is a gap year to celebrate before starting over. However, there is a wide belief that the 120th Jubilee started on September 23, 2015.

I'm a product of this resetting and restoration that is talked about. My release was divine and my new assignment is divine as well. I am beyond blessed. I see it through a salary I don't deserve, a car that is completely paid for by the company including gas and maintenance. I see it through my peers which only lift me up. God is good. God is great. God does things in his time, his way and for his glory.

Lord, thank you for not letting me go. Thank you for taking me from a place where I was stagnant to the place I have hope and growth. All this is you.

No comments: